Thursday, July 14, 2011

Icona Pop - Swedish Ting Tings

I realize I've been on an unintentional world music tour for the last few blogs, so I think I'll continue with a stop in Stockholm where my new favorite Swedish electro duo first met.

Icona Pop have been making waves with their debut single "Manners."  These ladies deliver sassy pop with a young indie edge a la Ting Tings.


This song is so hooky.  Rugged synths and quirky cowbell give it a fresh perspective.  I can imagine at some point it might get annoying, but for now it's my jam.  As long as they can keep up that delicate balance between indie and pop, I foresee great things in their future.

It was musical love at first sight for these two.  After meeting "one neon lit night" Aino Jawo and Caroline Hjelt hunkered down, barely sleeping for weeks in a creative flurry. Icona Pop was born out of their love for electronic music, dancing and that indiepop edge that the Swedes do so well.

The single has spawned quite a few remixes.  Captain Cuts is my favorite.



Signed to Mercury Records, this pair is in good company with crossover artists such as Ida Maria, Duffy, Noah and the Whale, and the legendary Portishead.

Looking forward to hearing more from these ladies when they release their full length debut


No comments:

Post a Comment