Wednesday, June 29, 2011

SBTRKT - It's A Crime...

That this anonymous London based producer has released such a stellar self-titled debut (courtesy of tastemakers, Young Turks).  This is easily on my top 10 list for 2011.  Check out the first highly addictive single, "Wildfire," featuring the unbelievably talented Yukimi Nagano of Little Dragon (that's not her in the video though...that girl is a hot mess, emphasis on hot).


Fresh production combines with a classy and clean delivery.  Syncopated beats keep your foot tapping and give breath to the piece.  And I can't say enough about the vocals.  Yukimi is in full command, every nuance of her melody perfectly illuminated in the mix.

Literally, every track on this album is a winner.  For instance, "Pharaohs."




When that beat kicks in, it's all over for me.  Once again the mix is absolute perfection.  I'm a sucker for round bass and an emphasis on rhythm.  Perfectly tasteful synths and a playful use of the equalizer reminds us that SBTRKT is definitely a DJ, first and foremost.

He's currently on tour. Crossing my finger's he makes his way over to the west coast.  I want that mask...


No comments:

Post a Comment